Thursday, December 20, 2012

7 More Silly Questions With Tullycraft!


Omg! Omg! Omg! Tullycraft has reunited our disenchanted hearts with the news that they will be releasing their first new recordings since 2007's Every Scene Needs a Center! And, truthfully, it couldn't come at a better time. The world needs Tullycraft to remind us that music is supposed to be fun and that straightforward, clever, well written songs are always, always welcome. And Sean Tollefson and his wonderful collaborators Jenny Mears, Corianton Hale, Chris Munford, and Jeff Fell are masters at the craft of the three minute pop song.

Stowaway by Tullycraft on GroovesharkPop Songs Your Boyfriend's Too Stupid To Know About by Tullycraft on GroovesharkWild Bikini by Tullycraft on Grooveshark

In 2013, we can expect both a 7" single in Jan or Feb and a full-length release titled Lost In Light Rotation. Mixed by the legendary Phil Ek (The Shins, Band of Horses, Built to Spill, Fleet Foxes, The Halo Bender), the album is being released on CD/LP on Magic Marker Records in the U.S. and Fortuna Pop in the UK. The official release date has yet to be set. There is also going to be a limited edition cassette version of the album on Fika Recordings in the UK!! With all of the chaos surrounding getting a new release together, I am surprised they had time to answer our highly dubious questions (after being so kind to us in 2009), but I am eternally grateful they did!


Viva: Where the bleep have you been and what have you been up to in your absence? 
Chris: What do you mean absence? We've been doing things like being a band and making this new record! I guess we've also been doing things like getting married, having babies, moving to California, and trekking to Borneo to save wildlife, so not much.
Sean: I feel like I've been busy - buying a house, getting married, having a baby... adult stuff. But it's true, there were a few years that we did almost nothing as a band. Sometimes a band can be a difficult relationship and I think we all just needed a break.
Jeff: First, I don't appreciate the accusatory tone of the question. Second, let's use our big boy words. None of this "bleep" language. Each of us has been at our respective homes just living life and now we’ve made another album.

Viva: What is the first record you bought?
Chris: The first one I bought? Maybe The Knack? I loved it.
Jeff: I'm sure I've answered this question before and to tell the truth I couldn't definitively answer this right now but it would have been one of these four: The Soundtrack to Heavy Metal, Cheap Trick “Live at Budokan,” AC/DC's “Back In Black,” or Blondie's “Autoamerican.” Those were quickly followed by Devo's “Freedom of Choice,” Van Halen I, probably an Oingo Boingo record, most definitely Rush's “Moving Pictures” and Foreigner's first album because I love that stupid guitar break in "It Feels Like the First Time." But it wasn't all good. There was a Styx album in there somewhere too.
Sean: The first record I ever bought was “Hooligans” by The Who (on cassette). It was a compilation focusing mostly on singles they’d released in the 70’s. I still love The Who.
Cori: Pet Shop Boys - "Actually" (on cassette tape)
Jenny: Probably Sting's "Dream of the Blue Turtles." I never was cool...

Viva: Unicorns vs. Narwhals? Who would win in a fight?
Cori: Depends on the terrain.
Sean: That’s true. Where would this fight take place? In the Canadian Arctic or North Korea?
Jenny: Excellent question, Sean! Everyone knows the icy waters of the Arctic would favor the narwhal while the unicorn would dominate in Korea's marshmallow forests...
Chris: This really isn't my area of expertise.
Jeff: Nice try, Unicorns and Narwhals would never fight one another as they naturally see what they have in common. Why are you so intent on pitting them against each other?

Viva: If you could re-live your prom, what song would you want slow dance to? 
Cori: What prom?
Chris: I'm not much of a slow dancer, and sincerely hope I never have to re-live either of the two proms I attended, BUT, I do like dancing! So, I am going to say I would dance to "Come on Eileen" most anytime.
Jenny: You'd be wearing overalls, right Chris?
Chris: Of course!
Jeff: I don't think I would wish a re-living of my prom upon anyone who was there. I don't even remember dancing. We left for a house-party pretty early on.
Sean: Oh! Jeff, you've told me your prom story before. Ouch! As for a song, I think I'd need to go with a time tested classic - "If You Were Here" by the Thompson Twins. You may think you don't know this song, but I'm sure you do - it played at the very end of 'Sixteen Candles.'

Viva: What would you do if Mayans predicted that one more Orange Cake Mix song would reset the doomsday clock? 
Chris: I think I would question the accuracy of those Mayan predictions.
Jeff: Well, it's kinda out of our hands according to your supposition. So I would have a nice meal and hope for the best, I guess.
Sean: Jeff's right. I think the real question is: What would Jim Rao (aka Orange Cake Mix) do?

Viva: Who smells the worst in the van after a show?
Cori: Jenny
Chris: Jenny. Sorry J, you are however usually one of the top three best smelling in the van BEFORE the show
Jeff: I do. But Jenny takes the heat for me because she's swell like that.
Jenny: I am swell like that! Though my polyester dresses don't exactly smell like roses after a show...



-Tullycraft cartoon by Jake Rohdy

No comments: