Thursday, April 26, 2012

7 Silly Questions w/ Evans The Death!


 Wonderful UK band Evans The Death's self-titled debut album is coming out Tuesday May, 1st on Slumberland Records (Fortuna Pop! in the UK). Named after the undertaker in Dylan Thomas's Under Milk Wood, Evans the Death comprise of Dan Moss (guitar, vocals), Katherine Whitaker (vocals, keys), Olly Moss (guitar), Rob Mitson (drums), and newest member Lan McCardle (bass) – original guitarist Matt Gill having left the band following the completion of the album. Truly, there have been few indie pop bands that have burst onto the scene with such beautiful, lush pop ferocity while somehow maintaining dignified and thoughtful lyrics. Tracks like Telling Lies, I'm So Unclean, and Wet Blanket really highlight their strengths while exposing absolutely zero weaknesses.

Evans the Death have been given extensive airtime on BBC Radio 1 and BBC 6Music, as well being made John Kennedy’s ‘Xposure Big One’ on XFM. An extensive UK tour earlier this year and constant gigging in London has helped to hone their performances into thrilling, energy-packed live shows. Why they agreed to answer our highly ridiculous questions is beyond us, we are just thankful they did!

What's the most embarrassing band you loved as a kid? 
Katherine: At 10 I was so obsessed with No Doubt that I spent a two week holiday pestering my parents to find me a pair of lime green/bright pink fishnet cut offs because Gwen Stefani had some, and at the end of the holiday I was literally banned by my parents from talking about Gwen Stefani ever, ever again in my house. Lan: I used to love Usher and had a huge crush on him. I had pretty much all of his albums. I'm really into Death Cab For Cutie right now, which is mortifying for most of the rest of the band, but I'm not ashamed of this at all. In fact I'm making them listen to it right now.
Dan: I used to love Mike Oldfield which isn't really a band but it got me through my pube years, Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn are saints to me, you dig?

What is the first record you bought? 
Dan: Genuinely the first record I bought was Different Class by Pulp. That is cool. I once wrote a letter to Jarvis, enclosed with a very intensive sketch of their album cover to 'His 'n' Hers', and I got a very polite letter back, saying 'are you not too young?'. I'm old enough now, Jarv.
Lan: I can't remember but I'm going to say it was a Destiny's Child album when there were still four of them. My favourite incarnation of Destiny's Child.
Katherine: Don't know, but I'm told I used to dance in circles round my living room when I was a toddler singing 'Hanga DJ hanga DJ', not quite understanding the Smiths lyrics at 4 years old.

Sasquatch...or Yeti? Who would win in a fight? 
Lan: I always thought they were the same. I'd say I'd win.
Dan: Yeti would win because it is slimier
Katherine: I am slimier, I would win.

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you on the road? 
Dan: Our old guitarist and very good friend Matt went on tour with us to Cardiff.
Katherine: He did a triple whammy of bad: he made a lady cry, he pissed on a grave (and got a bit arrested for it) and then he put coins in our hotel door key hole so we couldn't get in for bloody hours and I had my prom the next day. Matt, if you're out there, I will always love you.

Who has the worst van etiquette? 
Katherine: Me, I sick on everyone. No one likes it. Someone who remains anonymous forever picks, and eats bogeys from, their nose. On tour.
Dan: Bogeys on tour

Who is in heavy rotation on your iPod? 
Lan: I really like the new Lotus Plaza album, also I'm listening to Veronica Falls' album quite a lot. I'm really into Fantasy Rainbow right now, I bought his EPs a few weeks ago and they're already on my Top 25 Most Played on iTunes. Also Playlounge, who we've played with a couple of times, they're ace. I really like Joanna Gruesome as well, we're playing with them at Indietracks so I'm excited about that.
Dan: I usually listen to a load of bollocks.
Katherine: My ipod is broken but I listen mainly to Motown and also Rihanna, and I am being taught about music I should like by above members of my band. It's working, some of it's actually pretty good.

What is the worst argument over nothing that you got into with each other after being road weary and exhausted?
Katherine: We don't argue, we are awfully serene and wonderful with each other all the time. If anything you'd want to have an argument over how horribly well we all get on with each other, because we're a bit like this really beautiful, loving family.
Lan: I haven't been 'on the road' with ETD yet but I can pretty much verify that that's not true. At all.
 Katherine: Well, fuck off then Lan. Peace and love <3
Dan: We fight about who reigns supreme, but everyone knows.. right?





No comments: