Friday, June 1, 2012

7 Silly Questions w/ The Eversons!


Full disclosure. I love love love The Eversons. I have never met them. They don't know me. According to the interwebs, their home country of New Zealand is 8532 miles (13,000+ kilometers) away, so they are fairly safe from me becoming a stalker. But, something in their charming pop songs strikes a chord in me and I can't resist listening to tracks like "Could It Ever Get Better" and "I'm A Conservative" over and over and over again.



Last month, The Eversons released their first full length album Summer Feeling on Lil' Chief Records. With all the whirlwind commotion associated with a new record release, promotion, and playing shows, I am lucky The Eversons had any time for me at all. But thankfully, we were able to track down guitarist Blair Everson and force him to answer some seriously suspect questions.

What's the most embarrassing band you loved as a kid?
BE: Tom Jones. I was so fucking into Tom Jones. My parents took me to a Tom Jones concert in Wellington when I was like seven and I wore the Reload tour t shirt until it faded into dust.

What is the first record you bought?
BE: My dad bought me the first Presidents of the USA album around the time it came out. My taste in music would only decline for the following 15 years.

Unicorns vs. Narwhals? Who would win in a fight?
BE: I think narwhals are a real thing and unicorns are fantasy. And since dreams are so often mercillesly crushed by reality, I’m going to have to get behind the violent and bloody death of the unicorn.

What is the funniest thing that has happened to you on the road?
BE: When we were driving back from Auckland last week, I took a wrong turn while the others were asleep and ended up going via the West Coast of the North Island, which was quite novel to see as it’s so beautiful, but added a couple of hours to the usual eight and a half hour trip. By the time we got to Whanganui I was so exhausted I ordered at Burger King in a full on Shakespearean accent without realising what I was doing. I would file this mostly under stupidity rather than humour, though.

Who has the worst van etiquette?
BE: We’re all pretty good actually, but Chris ‘Safe Hands’ Young might win the prize for the time he broke Tim’s car stereo just by touching it. Though there was much fury directed at me for the time I made everyone wait while I assembled a bagel in the back of the car. I have since taken great steps to improve my road food preparation and will never again be seen travelling with an entire basil plant.

Who is in heavy rotation on your iPod?
I’ve been listening to a lot of early Elvis lately. So good.

What is the worst fight over nothing that you got into with each other after being road weary and exhausted?
BE: On our way back from Napier the other day Tim and I had a brief argument about whether he’d actually seen a sign that said ‘Wellington’ or not. It was quickly diffused by Mark telling us how much it hurts him when his dads fight. But that’s probably the most tension on record- we’re all pretty mild dudes and New Zealand is so small it’s pretty hard to get too road weary.



No comments: